Translate

Monday, May 18, 2009

Springs of Water

One of the things that always amazed me growing up were the natural springs of water that seemed to be everywhere in our area, but in reality I only remember two of these springs. One was near the railroad tracks about 50 yards from the creek. It was back in the woods and came up out of the ground from under a cypress tree and emptied into a small pool next to the tree then overflowed and ran in a small stream to the creek right next to the railroad. The hole beside the tree was about 4 foot across and probably 8 or 10 feet deep. You could see an old 55 gallon drum at the bottom. From the shape and looks of the hole it was probably a well at one time.

The other was behind a house on Wayne Drive about 75 yards from the same creek and it also came out from under a cypress tree and flowed into the creek. The last time I saw it the people that lived in the house had damned the stream up and made a small pond in the backyard. As far as I know it is still there.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the spring on Wayne Drive. I once went to Forest Hill School and lived on Mercer Ave in the 1940's. We lived on the Market Street end 2 houses behind the Grocery Store on the corner. I just came across this site and am in process of reading it. I am sure my sister will be interested in this also. We have a lot of the very same memories you have of Mercer Ave and Forest Hill School. I will write you more later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the Morgans that lived behind Mr Brock's store on the corner and the Burton's that lived behind the Gulf station. I think the Gulf station may have been built in the 50s. We moved to Mercer about 1952 or 53. Before that we lived on Princess Place Drive where the Muslim Mosque is now.

      Delete