Translate

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mr. Robin's Store

Mr. Robbins Store was about 2 blocks north of Mr. Brocks Store at mercer and Market. Mr. Robbins Store was on the southwest corner of what is now Market and Darlington Avenue. At that time It was not named Darlington and was just a one lane dirt trail that ran from Market to Live Oak (Covil) just north of the railroad tracks. This was the road used to get to the cemetery in Taylor's field.

Back to the store. I don't remember a lot about the store except it had those old time fans hanging from the ceiling and fly strips. The picture is of me standing at the double back doors looking out across the dirt trail to where the North 17 Drive in was. Remember going to the movies and watching them from your car. There was another dirt road between the store and Live Oak. Does anyone remember it's name or anyone that lived on it? I think one family was the Hornes. There were only 2 or 3 house down that road.

2 comments:

  1. Stanley,
    My barber, Sam Daniel, lived in one of those houses behind Mr. Robbins' store. In an old city directory it gives his address as 3320 1/2 Market St. I don't know if the road ever had a name. In my high school years, we would use that road as a "parking place". We called it "The Frogs". I was a friend of Billy Taylor and I think he introduced us to it. Enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom that road is now Darlington or at least Darlington is close to were the old dirt road was. At one time it went all the way to Live Oak behind Billy's house and came out just north of the railroad. It also came close to the old Skipper Cemetery. Also the Blanchard's had a house behind the store. There was another dirt road on the ofter side closer to Live Oak where Mr Horne lived.

    Funny how things happen, just today I ran into Jerry Robbins, Mr Robbins son. First time I have seen Jerry in about 30 years or more.

    ReplyDelete