Translate

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hurricanes and Such

Here I sit looking out the window at the rain and wind waiting for another hurricane to hit our area. Luckily this one has already been downgraded to a tropical storm. I have been through to many to remember all the names. Let’s see? There was Fran, Bonnie, Dennis, Hugo, Diane, Carol and HAZEL. There have been others but those are the ones I can remember right now. Hazel was the first one I remember and was really to young to be worried about what might happen. I do seem to remember that during the eye we went over to Aunt Callie's house on Live Oak Avenue. We took the path that was between Sam Well’s and Mrs. Parker’s houses. After the storm as we walked down Mercer there were trees in the street everywhere along with downed power lines. Now I say this was Hazel but I am sure it is a combination of memories of all the hurricanes that I went through as a kid on Mercer Avenue. As anyone that has ever been in this area of the country when a hurricane threatens, Hazel is the storm that all others are measured by. Her winds where strong but the storm tides were even worse coming in on a full moon high tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment