Translate

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Myrt Faison

Miss Myrt. She lived on Mercer back in the 1950s. I don’t remember a lot about her, but what little I do has impressed me all my life. She was a large black (colored in those days) lady that was always happy with a big friendly smile and willing to always give a helping hand. Sometime in the 50s she moved with her son to a little house on Princess Place Drive. It seems I remember her husband died early in the 50s. I only remember seeing her one time after she moved, it was around 1974. I was on the Wilmington Fire Department and was station at the station just down the street from her home. One afternoon we were responding to an alarm in Creekwood and passed her house. There she was as we passed, sitting on her porch with that big smile. She died in 1987, not long after my mother had paid a visit to her. My mother tried to get me to go visit her but I was to busy being young and by the time I found time it was to late. That is one of the many regrets in my life. She is buried at the Flemington Oakgrove Cemetery.

No comments:

Post a Comment