Translate

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Aunt Vic

I could not have been more than 5 or 6 when Aunt Vic passed away. Aunt Vic wasn't really any kin but everyone in the neighborhood called her Aunt. What I remember most was that she was the older lady in the neighborhood that all the younger women went to when they needed a home remedy. This was back when doctors still made house calls and knew you by your first name. Her remedies probably saved us many a trip into town for a visit to the doctor and him a trip or two out to the edge of town. She lived down close to the railroad tracks which was near the creek. Now one afternoon my mother and I walked down the road to Aunt Vic's house. As we passed Myrt Faison we could see Aunt Vic setting on her porch. Getting closer we could see she was eating something and of course she offered us some. Well we sat down and got us a leg of chicken and just as I started to bite into mind I heard Aunt Vic say something about the boys getting the frogs at the creek the night before. Now I heard this just in time to save me from biting into that leg that wasn't chicken. Them things are for hopping and not eating. After that Aunt Vic would always greet me with a smile and "Want some frog legs son". I don't know who has had more fun from that, Her picking at me or me remembering her smile when she would ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment