Translate

Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Air Show

When you look back at events in your life that don't seem to be life changing for you at the time, you later realize it may have set a major pattern for the rest of your life. I don't really remember the year but I think it was the late 50s. Back then the New Hanover County Airport still had free air shows and to be honest they were a lot better than the ones that are put on today. Of course the anti military attitude of the late 60s and 70s probably have a lot to do with the condition of the air shows today along with the drastic budget cuts of the 90s. The military just does not have the money to fly in as many aircraft and recruiting dollars go a lot further on television I guess.

Anyway back in those days the USAF Thunderbirds flew the F-100 Super Saber and the Navy Blue Angels flew the F9F-8 Cougars both were good but the Navy team just had that little something extra. Of course I have always been partial to the Cougar and the Navy Blue and Gold. At this air show I don't remember which team was there that year but that isn't the point of the story nor are the aircraft on display. I guess the largest and most impressive was the radar early warning plane, a Navy EC-121P Super Connie. The Super Connie is probably the sleekest plane ever built it reminds me of the dog on the side of the Greyhound bus.

It was about time for the Army Golden Knights to take off and do their thing . They were in a C-123 transport (made popular in the movie Air America) as the plane left the ground the pilot put it into a steep climb as was normal for this display, but this time it was a little to steep and the aircraft stalled and set back down backwards then burst into flames. As I, along with everyone else watched in unbelief at the smoke and flames I was fascinated by the crash crew doing their best to save the people on board and put the fire out. There was a large Air Force crash truck up from Myrtle Beach ABF and a Huskie helicopter. They did the best they could and saved many but still many were lost.

About 10 years later I would be stationed at my first Naval Air Station and spend most of my Navy tour as a fire crash rescueman and 23 years as a civilian firefighter I wonder how much that day had to do with the rest of my life.

* above picture: South Vietnamese paratroopers jump out of a U.S. Air Force Fairchild C-123B Provider (s/n 56-4367) of the 464th Troop Carrier Wing during a training exercise in April 1966. This plane belly-landed at Tau Tieng after being hit by small arms fire on 26 November 1966.

2 comments:

  1. I guess that would make it about 1961... I remember that airshow as well. I was also crash fire rescue, but in the USMC, had my training at NAS Memphis in 1974. I worked at the airport from 1986-1999 as assistant Chief and later chief of public safety. Still miss ILM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim after getting out of the Navy in 1970 I joined the Wilmington Fire Department just in time to get involved in the riots of 1971 of Wilmington 10 fame. In 1975 I went to Sunny Point and retired from there as Captain. Worked in amateur radio and around cemeteries until last May and at the age of 60 I now am a Fire Hydrant Technician with New Hanover County Fire Services. Will have to say so far it seems to be the best Fire Dept I have worked with including my volunteer time in South Wilmington VFD. Maybe it is because With the retirement I don't have to work there. Still loving it.

    ReplyDelete