Translate

Monday, May 18, 2009

Delgado Cemetery

I think the first time I remember anything about Delgado Cemetery was when I was at Forest Hills School around 1956 or 57. I was in the first or second grade and during recess I noticed a path in the woods and at the other end of the path I saw an old fence. Of course being a kid I could not leave this new mystery unsolved so I looked around to make sure no one was watching and quickly ducked into the woods and followed the path. Sure enough at the other end of the path was an old fence and on the other side was some tombstones. Even back then the cemetery was mostly overgrown and just right for the exploring of a young boy who had just read Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Just imagine all the adventure this graveyard could hold.

The above picture was taken in January of 2006 and shows county contractors cleaning the cemetery. It is a great improvement over the first time I saw it. All the graves were covered in bushes and underbrush and day light could hardly break through the foliage.

No comments:

Post a Comment