Translate

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A very special place in time.

I have been reminded lately that I grew up in a very special place in time.The era I grew up in was probably the zenith of this countries time in history. If you were a child it didn't really matter if you were poor, middle class or rich you pretty much had many of the same experiences growing up. We all went to the same schools, there were almost no local private schools and really not much need for them. Back then public school still taught and taught you how to learn what wasn't taught. I have always said I'll put my first 12 years of schooling up against any high school graduate of the public school system turns out today. Give us a 100 question test that covers all the basics and I'll come out on top and this is probably true of any of my old class mates. How did the teachers ever make it through the year having to grade and figure grades by hand and no teacher work days back then. They didn't cancel school every time bad weather was predicted ether. If it rained you put your rain coat on, if it snowed you put warm closes not that I ever remember it snowing during school. I'm sure it did. It still amazes me at what some of our high school graduates don't know these days. The biggest thing we had to worry about was the A-bomb. Remember getting under your desk or going to the hall and tuck your head between you legs? How about all the buildings that had the air raid shelter signs on them. Thank God that it never came to the point in the Cold War that we needed any of that stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment